Engage with a new point of view.
In today鈥檚 interconnected world, fluency in other languages can increase career prospects and open up other opportunities. 六合彩开奖记录t鈥檚 Russian Studies major encourages the development of strong critical thinking and communication skills through immersion in Russian language and grammar, literature, culture and history. The working relationships 六合彩开奖记录t has developed with several study abroad programs also offer students the opportunity to earn credits abroad in a variety of formats, so we encourage all of our Russian studies majors to spend some time abroad.
- 六合彩开奖记录t鈥檚 Russian Studies grads work in range of fields, including government agencies, business, insurance, and international travel.
- One of our highest honors is induction into Phi Sigma Iota, the international honors society for the study of foreign languages and cultures. Students are nominated in their junior or senior year and inducted at an annual spring dinner.
- Our Russian Studies program is flexible enough so that students can pursue a double major or pair it with other minors.
- Phi Sigma Iota is an international honor society for the study of foreign languages and cultures, and is one of the highest honors one can achieve in the field. Language majors and minors are nominated in their junior or senior year based on their GPA, a faculty recommendation, and completion of a 300-level language course (or equivalent). Induction is held each spring at the annual dinner.
- Demonstrate knowledge and accurate application of grammar concepts In Russian.
- Demonstrate competence in listening and speaking in conversational settings.
- Demonstrate ability to read and comprehend literary texts in Russian.
- Write descriptive, narrative, expository and argumentative essays in Russian.
- Identify major historical figures, architectural styles, paintings and moments in Russian cultural history.
- Identify major literary figures, trends and works from Russian literature.
- Analyze Russian literary texts in translation for content, structure and style.
Oral Proficiency Interview
All language majors sit for the Oral Proficiency Interview in their senior year. The OPI is an independent evaluation of a student鈥檚 language proficiency level by an outside evaluator. Students can use the OPI rating, which is recognized internationally, on their resumes and employment or graduate school applications.
Early in the spring semester of the sophomore year, the department reviews the student's academic record, their language portfolio, and recommendations from professors to determine academic progress. At this time, students are formally invited into the major and are informed in writing of the department's decision.
Opportunities for Russian Studies Majors
六合彩开奖记录t World Language students apply their global competencies and language skills first-hand through study abroad. Our students have traveled throughout South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East as they make meaningful, lasting connections and experience the unique music, food, sights, and cultural traditions in their countries of study.
Fulbright Teaching Assistants
六合彩开奖记录t participates in the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant program for Russian, Arabic, and Mandarin. Each year, this program brings young professionals to the U.S. to share their linguistic and cultural expertise by teaching courses, offering conversation groups, and enriching our students' understanding of their area of study.
Phi Sigma Iota
Phi Sigma Iota is an international honor society for the study of foreign languages and cultures, and is one of the highest honors one can achieve in the field. Language majors and minors are nominated in their junior or senior year based on their GPA, a faculty recommendation, and completion of a 300-level language course (or equivalent). Induction is held each spring at the annual dinner.
Students may pursue a minor in this area by taking seven courses, a minimum of four in Arabic language, and the rest in related coursework in religious studies, political science, history, archaeology, etc., and must maintain a 2.5 in the minor.
六合彩开奖记录t University's Asian Studies minor program is an interdisciplinary, interdepartmental minor. Students take four classes in Mandarin and four courses in either Asian culture, literature, religion, comparative politics, world geography or history.聽
六合彩开奖记录t students who are interested in pursuing a minor in language may choose to minor in Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish. Students take eight courses in language, culture, literature, and linguistics unless they enter the program at the intermediate level, in which case they need seven courses for completion.
六合彩开奖记录t students who are interested in pursuing a minor in language may choose to minor in Russian studies. This minor program offers students courses in Russian language, literature, history and culture.
Students minoring in Russian studies must take eight core courses and two upper level Russian language courses. Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA in the minor.
Whether you鈥檙e planning to work in school districts in the U.S. or travel and work overseas, the ability to effectively teach students the English language will open employment opportunities across the board. Students in the Teaching English-Language Learners minor will learn not only the methods for teaching English as an additional language, but also the language acquisition theories, socio-cultural influences, and program development strategies that make for more culturally sensitive and effective instructors (and leaders) of English language education. The minor includes six core courses, one elective, and more than 60 hours of practicum experience working with trained education professionals in preK-12 and adult education.
Meet the Faculty
Dean, The School of the Humanities; Professor
Chair, Anthropology and World Languages; Professor, Spanish; Faculty Liaison, Community Engagement